U.S. Citizen Passport Requirements
after June 1, 2009

The Mexican government does not require a passport, just picture identification, like a driver's license to enter.

June 1, 2009, the U.S. government, through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency is requiring a passport for a U.S. citizen to reenter the USA. Actually, they can't keep a U.S. Citizen out, but it can be a hassle for you to prove you are a U.S. citizen.

Please see the link to the U.S. government website, for information on the various types of passports and travel documents accepted by Customs, below.


Update, November 02, 2010
Nogales (AZ) International Newspaper

Unspoken rule allows passport-free border crossings by Wren Abbott

Their only penalty: a minor scolding from a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) official, who urged them to get passports.
Click to Go To:
Full Story at Nogales International or For a Copy


If you need to go to Mexico immediately, you can go to the US Post Office and apply for a U.S. passport card ($55) and use your receipt and driver's license until you get your card.
Also see Story Above